Unit 13: Charlemagne and the European Middle Ages
construction on the Aachen Cathedral (Kaiserdom) in 786--Note that the
French called Aachen "Aix-la-Chapelle"--and construction occurred off
and on for the next one thousand years. This is where Charlemagne
was buried. As I remember the cathedral is still in use as a
church, making it the oldest cathedral in northern Europe.
What you must do in this unit
What you can do in this unit
Some videos that you can watch for this unit
- Read chapter 9 in the textbook (chapter 9 in the Edgar text).
- Read my notes on Charlemagne.
- Study the Questions to Consider and the Key Terms for the unit.
- Post (or respond) your thoughts/ideas about this unit's reading and assignment in the Blackboard online discussion forum. Do not post your assignment there.
Extra Credit Options
- See the videos dealing with Charlemagne in the HIS 101 course.
- For extra credit please suggest to your instructor a relevant video for this unit of the course. Send the title of the video, the url and a brief explanation of why you find the video interesting and applicable to the material that is being studied in this unit.
- Take the short 5-point quiz for chapter 9. Log into Blackboard and look under "Chapter Quizzes." You have five minutes to complete each quiz (multiple-choice questions).
a maximum of 50 points extra credit, read the Song of Roland (There are
copies available online.) and write a one-page paper in which you
explain the characteristics of the medieval knight. Please be
sure to cite your sources.
- For a maximum of 50 points (maybe more), using such sources as
Vikings by the BBC,
Vikings: The North Atlantic Saga or
Vikings (and any other sites you may wish to consult),
write a one-page paper (maybe two pages), in which you argue either that the
Viking excursions were (a) beneficial or (b) harmful to the development of
- For a maximum of 50 points (maybe more), watch the movie
Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Considering that the movie is a satirical comedy,
write a one-, or two-page paper (What aspects of life in the Middle Ages were well
portrayed in the film?).
a one-page paper, summarize the causes and outcomes of the Hundred
Years' War for a maximum of 50 points extra credit. Please be
sure to cite any sources that you use.
- For a maximum of 25 points extra credit, read Einhard's
Life of Charlemagne
and write a long paragraph (How did Charlemagne use the church to his
advantage during his reign?).
- For a maximum of 25 points extra credit, do the short Magna Carta paragraph assignment from HIS 101.
judicial procedures were quite amazing. Write a long paragraph
and comment upon some of the different kinds of "trial by ordeal"
practiced in the Middle Ages for a maximum of 25 points. Please
be sure to cite your sources such as Ordeal of Boiling Water and Hot Iron and Cold Water.
- For a maximum of 25 points extra credit, read the Capitulary of Charlemagne
(802; English translation), and in a long paragraph comment upon Charlemagne's conception of political leadership.
- For extra credit, please suggest a
relevant website for this unit of the course. Send the title of the site, the url and a
brief explanation why you find the information interesting and applicable to
the material being studied this unit.
This page is copyright © 2006-12, C.T.
For information contact email@example.com