Questions to Consider while reading the textbook
and studying a unit's material
Unit 2 Seventeenth-Century Europe
- How has geography influenced
the course of history?
- What is history?
Unit 3 Scientific Revolution and the Enlightenment
- Why did Parliament succeed
in expanding its powers in England at the expense of the king?
- What were some of the
characteristics of political practice in France?
Unit 4 French Revolution
- Why was the era called the
- How did Galileo and Copernicus help to bring about a revolution in scientific thought?
Unit 5 Industrial Revolution
- What were the main characteristics of the
Ancien Régime (Old Regime) in France?
- Who was Napoleon and why
was he considered an embodiment of the revolution?
Unit 6 Russia in Revolt?
- Why did the Industrial Revolution
begin in England?
- How did industrial production
change Western society?
Unit 7 Socialism
- What did the Decembrists
hope to achieve through their uprising?
- Was Emperor Alexander I an enlightened monarch?
Unit 8 Nationalism
- What were the main points
of Marx' critique of capitalism?
- What were some of the distinctive
features of nineteenth-century conservatism and liberalism?
Unit 9 Imperialism
- What was the point of the Crimean War?
- How did Germany and Italy come into existence?
Unit 10 The Great War
- How is what happened in
Egypt in the second half of the nineteenth century illustrative of the
effects of imperialism?
- What was the Boer War?
11 Russian Revolution
- Why were Germany and England
the major players in the drama of the summer of 1914?
- Why did nobody stop the
rush to war in 1914?
Unit 12 Fascism
- Why were the Bolsheviks
able to win the Russian Civil War?
- What factors promoted the
collapse of the autocracy in Russia in February 1917?
Unit 13 World War II
- What were some of the differences between fascism, national socialism and Bolshevism?
- Why was Europe unable to
achieve political stability after the Great War?
Unit 14 Cold War
- How did World War II differ
from the Great War of 1914-1918?
- What were the crucial factors
that enabled the allies to defeat Germany and Japan?
Unit 15 Final Exam
- How did the Cold War begin
and how did it encompass the entire world?
- What caused the outbreak
of hostilities in Korea?
- What events have led to
the emergence of a truly interdependent world community?
- What is globalization?
All materials on this site
are copyright © 2008, C.T. Evans
For information contact email@example.com