Unit 8: Russia
The Kremlin in Moscow, in winter, from the Moscow River side.
Ashton Fleming had identifed the structures in the photo for extra credit.
must do in this unit
What you can do in this unit
Some videos that you can watch for this unit
Extra Credit Options
- Take the short 5-point quiz for chapter 10. Log into Blackboard and look under "Chapter Quizzes." You have five minutes to complete each quiz (multiple-choice questions).
- In a one-page paper (maybe two pages),
summarize the main issues of the Iconoclasm dispute that took place in the eighth
century, using such sources as
the Catholic Encyclopedia,
Decree of the Second Council of Nicea,
or any other sources you wish to use, for a maximum of 50 points. Please be sure to cite your sources.
- Read the
short version of the Russkaia pravda (the
earliest Russian law code) and write a one-page paper (Compare and contrast this
early Russian law code with
other law codes such as Hammurabi, the Ten Commandments,
etc.) for a maximum of 50 points.
- For 25 points maximum extra credit, read
Grand Prince Vladimir Monomakh's Instruction to His Children and write a paragraph in which you explain the Grand Prince's conception of the political state.
- For a maximum of 25 points extra credit, read Procopius: The Plague, 542, from his History of the Wars, and write a paragraph in which you assess the
impact of the plague on Roman/Byzantine society. If you want a
lot of extra credit, you can do some research and compare this account
of the plague with accounts of the Black Death that struck Europe in
- For extra credit of a maximum of 10 points,
you can submit the answers to the Russian Primary Chronicle study questions. Please write in formal, complete sentences.
- For extra credit, please suggest a
relevant website for this unit of the course. Send the title of the site, the url and a
brief explanation why you find the information interesting and applicable to
the material being studied this unit.
This page is copyright © 2006-12, C.T.
For information contact firstname.lastname@example.org