Unit 9: Islam and Empire
must do in this unit
What you can do in this unit
The Dome of the
Rock in Jerusalem, an Islamic shrine--not a mosque--built between 687
and 691 ce. Muslims believe that the rock in the center of the
dome is the spot where Muhammad, with the angel Gabriel, ascended to
meet God. Jews and Christians believe this spot is where Abraham
almost sacrificed his son Isaac; photo courtesy C. Wayne and Dorothy
Miller. See some other photos of Islamic architecture.
Some videos that you can watch for this unit
- You may listen to some further information about Islam
from my HIS 101 course.
Extra Credit Options
- See the videos dealing with Islam in the HIS 101 course.
- For extra credit please suggest to your instructor a relevant video for this unit of the course. Send the title of the video, the url and a brief explanation of why you find the video interesting and applicable to the material that is being studied in this unit.
- Take the short 5-point quiz for chapter 11. Log into Blackboard and look under "Chapter Quizzes." You have five minutes to complete each quiz (multiple-choice questions).
- Find three reputable
websites that contain useful information about the early history of Islam. In about
one page, summarize the information contained on each website and explain why these websites
are both useful and credible for a maximum of 25 points.
- For a maximum of 25 points extra credit, read the excerpt by Ibn Abd-el-Hakem on
the Islamic Conquest of Spain and write a
long paragraph in which you examine some of the reasons for the successful Islamic conquests.
- For a maximum of 25 points extra credit, read the Pact of Umar, from the seventh century, and comment, in a paragraph, on the nature of
- For extra credit, please suggest a
relevant website for this unit of the course. Send the title of the site, the url and a
brief explanation why you find the information interesting and applicable to
the material being studied this unit.
This page is copyright © 2006-12, C.T.
For information contact firstname.lastname@example.org