Unit 12: Your Choice
In the middle of a night in February 1969--I am no longer sure about the exact day--a loud crash shook the town of Slatington, Pennsylvania. A freight train, pulled by a bunch of Alco "snowbird" engines, had derailed on the Lehigh Valley Railroad's mainline, smashing up several freight cars and demolishing the Slatington depot. Pictured in the background is Railroad Street. The towering tan building on the left was the Bittner House, once a prestigious hotel and a beautiful building. It burned to the ground in a spectacular blaze that could be seen for miles around one night in the 1970s.
must do in this unit
What you can do in this unit
- Post (or respond) your thoughts/ideas about this unit's reading and assignment in the Blackboard online discussion forum. Do not post your assignment there.
- Submit the Personal Choice paper. Please make sure that you check with me about your choice first.
Some videos that you can watch for this unit
- This is an optional assignment that you can do. It is also part of my HIS 242 course. Read Lawrence Scott Sheets, 8 Pieces of Empire: A 20-Year Journey through the Soviet Collapse and submit the one-page assignment paper for a maximum of 100 points.
Extra Credit Options
- History of the Muppets (I wanted to find a place that I could get the Muppets into the course; this will have to be it.)
- For extra credit please suggest to your instructor a relevant video for this unit of the course. Send the title of the video, the url and a brief explanation of why you find the video interesting and applicable to the material that is being studied in this unit.
- For extra credit, please suggest a
relevant website for this unit of the course. Send the title of the site, the url and a
brief explanation why you find the information interesting and applicable to
the material being studied this unit.
This page is copyright © 2010-12, C.T.
For information contact firstname.lastname@example.org