Unit 10: The Key Events of the Last Half Century
This bronze memorial, located across from the National Museum on Wenceslas Square in Prague, marks the spot that Jan Palach set himself on fire to protest the Soviet invasion of Czechoslovakia that brought an end to the Prague Spring of 1968. Palach carried out his suicide pact on 16 January 1969, dying three days later. Another student, Jan Zajíc, burned himself to death nearby on 25 February 1969, and he is also memorialized here. (The Memorial was erected after the fall of the communist regime.) Several other Czech students also took part in the self-immolation campaign. Photo credit Wikipedia Commons.
must do in this unit
What you can do in this unit
- Post (or respond) your thoughts/ideas about this unit's reading and assignment in the Blackboard online discussion forum. Do not post your assignment there.
- Submit the Module Essay Paper.
Some videos that you can watch for this unit
- You may choose to listen to some short remarks by your instructor on the module essays
as a mp3 file. You can also read the instructions as
a txt file. (These remarks are a bit on the old side.)
Extra Credit Options
- See the videos listed in unit 8 of the course.
- For extra credit please suggest to your instructor a relevant video for this unit of the course. Send the title of the video, the url and a brief explanation of why you find the video interesting and applicable to the material that is being studied in this unit.
- For extra credit, please suggest a
relevant website for this unit of the course. Send the title of the site, the url and a
brief explanation why you find the information interesting and applicable to
the material being studied this unit.
This page is copyright © 2010-12, C.T.
For information contact firstname.lastname@example.org