PRACTICE QUIZ ON CELL
STRUCTURE AND FUNCTION
You may prefer to print out the quiz and mark it. After
you have finished marking the quiz, you can grade each question by clicking on a quiz
answer. When you click on a quiz answer, you will be given feedback indicating
whether your answer is correct. When you get a feedback response, click on the
back arrow to return to the quiz. After scoring your quiz, you should have an idea if
you need to study the material more. Remember to post questions about things you
don't understand in the Class Forum.
1. Which of the following statements is always
true? All cells
a. have a cell membrane
b. contain a nucleus
c. have a cell wall
2. Which of the following forms of life is
a. a protist such as an amoeba
b. a plant cell such as Elodea
c. a bacterial cell such as Streptococcus
d. a human cell such as a red
3. An electron microscope is needed for
a. the cell membrane b. chloroplasts c. nerve
cells d. the nucleus
4. Which of the following substances is able
to move freely across the cell membrane?
b. lipid soluble molecules
c. water soluble proteins
d. nucleic acids
e. both (a) and (b)
5. Which of the following is correct?
As cell size increases, cell volume increase(s) at ______ cell surface area.
a. the same rate as
b. a greater rate than
c. a slower rate than
6. Which of the following groups contain
life forms simpler than a cell?
a. Monera b.
7. A cell that had relatively few energy
needs would probably have a relatively small number of
8. Which of the following processes requires
both carrier molecules and energy?
b. facilitated transport
c. active transport
d. all [(a), (b), and (c)] require carriers and
9. Digestive enzymes or hydrolytic enzymes
are terms that would be associated with
a. golgi apparatus b.
smooth endoplasmic reticulum
c. ribosomes d. lysosomes
10. A plant cell placed in a hypotonic
c. become turgid
11. Cell contents are isolated from many
substances in the environment due to the high concentration of ____ in the cell
a. phospholipids and cholesterol
b. proteins c. nucleic acids d. enzymes
12. The outer most boundary of an
animal cell is ___________.
a. the cell wall b. the cytoskeleton c. nuclear envelop d. the cell membrane
13. Which of the
following structures are common to both eukaryotic and prokaryotic cells? a. nucleus b. cell
membrane c. ribosomes
d. both (a) and (b) e. both (b) and (c)
14. Arrange the following terms from
simplest structure to most complex structure.
15. Discuss the functional relationship of
the following terms:
genetic material in the
16. When red blood cells are placed in a concentrated
salt solution, they will _________.
a. enlarge, but not
burst b. enlarge until they burst
c. remain unchanged d. shrink